The University Jobs (www.univjobs.com)
Mathematics Instructor (Basic Skills Emphasis) - 2017
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: http://apptrkr.com/943831
Discipline or Department: Mathematics
Position Type: Full-time Faculty
Hourly Rate or Monthly Salary:
Working Hours: One full-time (10 months per year), tenure-track faculty position beginning in August 2017. The position is based in the Department of Mathematics. To view the department website, go to http://www.miracosta.edu/Instruction/Mathematics. The standard contractual work week for this position is forty (40) hours. The standard instructional work week shall consist of thirty (30) hours of instructional time, curriculum development, preparation, and student evaluation (contact hours and preparation hours). The remaining time will consist of five (5) student hours (of which at least two (2) hours must be designated office hours), and five (5) institutional service hours. The person selected for this position will be subject to assignment to any district facility during any hours of operation.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Apply and submit application materials online at https://jobs.miracosta.edu. Once you're in the online system, we strongly advise you to read the information on "How to Apply" and the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) before starting the application process.
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following documents directly in the online system and finish applying and receive a confirmation number by 11:59 PM on the closing date:
1. Application for Academic Employment.
2. A personal statement specifically describing how you meet the desirable qualifications. Attach this to the "Cover Letter" link.
3. A separate document stating your teaching philosophy, not to exceed one page.
4. A current resume or curriculum vitae summarizing your educational background and experience.
5. A reverse chronological list of college mathematics courses you have taught, including course name, institution, and dates. Attach this to the "Other Document 1" link.
6. Exactly two recent, dated letters of recommendation, preferably written within the last two years, including one from a mathematics colleague. Letters need not be confidential.
7. One sample final exam with scoring rubric, created by you, from any pre-transfer mathematics course (pre-algebra through intermediate algebra or any prep for statistics type course). Attach this to the "Other Document 2" link.
8. One sample final exam with scoring rubric, created by you, from any transfer level mathematics course. Attach this to the "Other Document 3" link.
9a. Transcripts of ALL college degrees/coursework needed to qualify for this position; unofficial or legible copies are acceptable but must indicate that the degree(s) has been conferred, if applicable. A diploma will not be accepted in lieu of transcripts. An equivalency narrative and supporting documentation must be submitted at the time of application if (i) you do not possess the EXACT degree major(s) listed in the Minimum Qualifications section or (ii) your qualifying degree will not be awarded before the position begins. (View the instructions for equivalency requests at http://www.miracosta.edu/administrative/hr/downloads/Equivalency.pdf.)
If your qualifying degree is in progress but will be conferred BEFORE the position begins in August 2017, then you must also include a written statement from your adviser indicating the anticipated degree CONFERRAL date.
If your degree(s) is from a college or university outside of the United States, you must submit a detailed evaluation from a professional evaluation agency. A partial list of agencies can be found at http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf.
9b. If needed to meet the minimum qualifications, a copy (front and back) of your California Community College teaching credential authorizing instruction in the appropriate subject matter.
NOTE: With the exception of documents needed to support an equivalency request, do not submit materials other than those requested above as they will be removed.
NOTE: When you "APPLY FOR THIS POSTING," you will eventually be asked to answer the additional question(s) listed below. Your answers will appear toward the bottom of the application form.
Basic Function and Other Details:
The Department of Mathematics is seeking an academically focused mathematician who will provide instruction throughout the breadth of the community college courses. The person selected will share leadership roles with other full-time instructors in coordinating and developing curriculum for all math courses. It is anticipated that the person selected for this position will contribute to instruction in transfer level math courses and pretransfer courses as needed.
MATHEMATICS DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION:
The Department of Mathematics serves to prepare all students at MiraCosta College to meet their educational goals, be it meeting minimum qualifications for a certificate or associate degree, or fulfilling general education requirements in order to transfer. The department currently consists of 18 full-time faculty members committed to providing students with a learning experience that is diverse, rich, and academically rigorous.
(E = essential job function)
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Provide instruction in mathematics in any course in the mathematics sequence: Pre-algebra, Elementary and Intermediate Algebra, Math Fundamentals for Statistics, Math for Elementary School Teachers, Statistics, Pre-Calculus, Discrete Mathematics, Calculus I, II, and III, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra. (E)
2. Work in collaboration with other full-time and associate faculty in coordinating curriculum. (E)
3. Develop, review and maintain currency of curricula for courses the individual teaches and develop new curricula in collaboration with other instructors as appropriate. (E)
4. Assist in the creation, development and evaluation of courses both online and on-ground, certificates, and programs. (E)
5. Participate in the development, assessment and evaluation of student learning outcomes (SLOs). (E)
6. Participate actively in departmental committees, subcommittees, and projects. (E)
7. Participate in institutional service, which includes college-wide committee work and collegial governance. (E)
8. Continue to pursue currency in the profession and in applicable computer technologies. (E)
Adherence to all District policies and procedures is expected.
IMPORTANT: If you do not follow the instructions below, your application may not be forwarded to the committee. To provide evidence that you meet the minimum qualifications listed below, the transcripts you are attaching must state the degree title, major, and date conferred.
If your degree major EXACTLY matches a degree major listed below, you do not need to request equivalency. For example, on the transcripts you are attaching, degree title = Master of Arts; major = Mathematics; conferral date = 6/10/12. This exact degree major is listed below, so no equivalency is required.
If your degree major DOES NOT EXACTLY match a degree major listed below, you must REQUEST EQUIVALENCY. For example, on the transcripts you are attaching, degree title = Master of Science; major = Engineering; conferral date = 5/9/12. This exact degree major is not listed below and does not directly meet minimum qualifications. You MUST REQUEST EQUIVALENCY.
If two of your degrees (a bachelor's and a master's) are required to meet the minimum qualifications, both degree majors must be an exact match to the degree majors listed below.
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
1. a Master's degree in mathematics or applied mathematics; OR
2. a Bachelor's degree in either of the above AND a Master's degree in statistics, physics, or mathematics education; OR
3. a valid California Community College teaching credential authorizing instruction in the appropriate subject matter; OR
4. the equivalent; applicants applying under the "equivalent" provision must attach an equivalency statement and supporting documentation at time of application. Guidelines may be found at http://www.miracosta.edu/administrative/hr/downloads/Equivalency.pdf; AND
5. sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
The college seeks candidates who have achieved the highest level of professional excellence as demonstrated by:
1. Recent experience, within the last five years, and demonstrated success in teaching developmental math courses especially in an accelerated or non-traditional pathway.
2. Excellence in mathematics preparation.
3. Success in teaching mathematics at the community college or baccalaureate level.
4. Successful implementation of innovative teaching practices at the pre-transfer level.
5. Demonstrated skill in applying current technology in the instruction of mathematics.
6. Ability to communicate effectively both in oral and written communication.
7. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others.
8. Commitment to the community college objective of providing lower division instruction to students of diverse abilities, interests, and cultural backgrounds
9. Ability and willingness to collaborate with various student success initiatives to close equity gaps in student achievement, including aligning curriculum with local school districts, contextualizing mathematics courses and co-curricular activities, and teaching and promoting the MiraCosta pathway to statistics courses.
10. Ability to contribute to the mission of the college.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
Closing Date: 2-14-2017
First Screening Date:
Human Resources Contact Information:
email@example.com or 760.795.6854